Mommy (and Daddy!) Fail #5
April 27, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 2 Comments
My Baby is three months old today!
April 26, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 0 Comments
- Nearly 25 inches long.
- Nearly 16 pounds!
- Not completely bald but close! He still is loosing his hair in funny tufts.
- Still exclusively breastfed.
- Is sleeping about 16 hours a day total.
- Not showing any signs of sleeping through the night, BOOO! He sleeps his first stretch starting at 7 or 8pm – and goes to 1 or 2am then the next for 4 hours and then he is either ready to rock and roll at 5 or 6 am or hell to get back to sleep.
- He smiles at me when he hears my voice or when I am staring at him smiling too.
- He coos sounds of happiness and kind of yell-coos sounds of bored or annoyed.
- Is wearing 6-9 month old clothes. 0-3 onesies turn into baby thongs on him.
- He is wearing #2 diapers. Though daddy got #3’s because he is now 3 months and he thought that’s what the number meant! LMAO!
- He’s reaching out for things we put in front of him but not quite grasping and holding on yet.
- During tummy time he is lifting himself up and looking around, he is also moving his legs like he is ready to start trying to crawl.
- He is holding his head up really well, but he cannot keep it there,
- Focusing on objects and clearly trying to process what it its.
- Trying to stand up on my lap and loves pushing off of my hands when he is having tummy time.
- He only cries when he is hungry, tired or bored. If I am a good mommy he rarely cries!
- Refuses to go to sleep in his crib for the night if it is light in his room. I have had to by light blocking curtains to trick him into going to sleep. 2 points mommy!
- Is eating 5 ½ ounces of milk nearly every three hours! Mommy is busy!
- Flailing his arms and legs nearly 20 hours a day! Yes, even in his sleep. It’s constant. I have had to stop watching the monitor or I will go cross-eyed staring for so long!
- He it the light and pure joy of my world and is teaching me the meaning of life!
3 months postpartum-What to Wear?
April 25, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 4 Comments
Enjoy every second...
April 23, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 0 Comments
What has First Time Dad been up to you ask...
April 21, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 4 Comments
This is an email he sent to our family and friends today. Every week he sends an update of photos over seas to our family in Australia. I nearly died when I opened it. FTD has issues.
"Ollie 11 weeks old!"
|Guess what dad got for his birthday.|
Mommy Power Hour!
April 20, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 1 Comments
- Give me 60 minutes to unwind, relax and do whatever I want or need to do, FOR MYSELF!
- Give dad one hour to be alone, in-charge and bond with his baby.
Going from mommy to me
April 19, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 5 Comments
Flat out exhusted but a super hero
April 16, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 1 Comments
My baby is losing his hair in a funny pattern!
April 13, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 6 Comments
For us, Oliver lost all of the hair on the top of his head in the first 4 weeks. Then his hair stopped falling out. Now in the last week (week 9) this perfect line of hair loss around his head has formed. What got me confused is why the top, then the line around the sides, but nothing else?
I found out a newborn's hormone levels drop right after birth, which can cause the hair loss. The same applies to new moms. So if you find yourself going bald too... Good News, that's normal! > ; o
Some babies lose their hair in such a way that it never looks like they lost any at all. The old hair falls out as the new hair grows back. So not all babies go bald, just like some are born with hair some without. Babies lose their hair in different patterns and stages from the next, and most times it grows back a different color than they were born with.
To care for baby’s hair during this phase try the following:
Don’t wash your baby’s hair every day. Particularly with newborns, there’s just no need. Aim for a quick shampoo when you bathe your baby, which doesn’t need to be more often than a couple times a week.
Be extra gentle during shampoos. Normal washing can stress hair follicles and speed up hair loss or breakage.
Detangle after bath gently with a very soft brush wide-toothed comb.
Avoid headbands or ponytails that pull your baby’s hair back too tightly, which can damage it.
Loosing the Postpartum baby weight.
April 12, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 2 Comments
I have some serious weight loss to make happen before the summer months arrive if I plan to fit into any of my existing summer outfits. I'm still breastfeeding so the college diet is out--crash dieting, cigarettes and caffeine. My only choice is to loose weight the old fashion way-healthy diet and exercise. This of course will include making wise nutrition choices, not over eating, try not to cheat... too much, and exercise. I'm human I never hold myself to ridiculous goals, cheating has to happen to stay on course. Crap false goals are the fastest way to sabotage the master plan and end up throwing a huge fatty fatty boom boom pity party.
I'll admit since delivery I have not made "nutritious choices" so to speak, I have just eaten what ever was available and sounded good. Sometimes that meant pizza, Mexican and Chinese take out for consecutive meals. I certainly wish I had made better choices, but with a new born and wicked sleep deprivation the fact that I even remembered to eat is a miracle.
I made a huge mistake today trying on clothes I really knew wouldn't fit, but secretly hoped magically would. Please learn from my mistakes, if you find yourself in the store in need of clothes please don't lie to yourself, get the size that will fit and don't worry about the number. I was so wrapped in the numbers that I ended up leaving defeated without clothes. Now that my pity party is over and I have a master plan to lose the baby weight, I'm going back to the store to buy a pair of work pants and weekend jeans that fit nicely regardless of size. Had I not been a chump I would have done that in the first place.
I learned an important lesson today... I am not a twenty something anymore trying to squeeze into a size too small. I am a mother now and a proud one at that. My body was a casualty of pregnancy war and I will have it back one day, providing I stick to the plan of healthy diet and exercise. So what if I'm a pudge right now? I have a beautiful healthy baby boy to show for it!
Going back to work after maternity leave.
April 11, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 2 Comments
A few years ago one of my coworkers had his first child, a daughter. When his wife went back to work they had to take his daughter their church run daycare. He told me when he dropped her off he cried. I laughed at him. He went to visit her on every lunch break he could for the first month or so. I thought the man was a freak with some serious separation anxiety. I realize now he was just being a father, a really good caring father. I know this because I could not wait for lunch to come so I could race home to my lil guy.
In America we only get 6-8 weeks off for maternity. It seems criminal compared to the rest of the world. I went back after 9 weeks and it feels WAY too early. A friend of mine in Australia emailed me to let me know she decided to go back to work after 12 months instead of 6. At first I thought that I would be ready for sure by 6 months and by 12 I'd be going crazy. Now I'm not so sure!
I love being a mother so much more than I ever dreamed. I'm not ready to go back to work yet and that's the bottom line. Unfortunately unless I win the lotto or a publishing house calls to say we love you, I have no choice. I couldn't help but think of how many other women went back to work this week. I'm sure I'm in great company with those women and as hard as it is to believe, in time I will be happier to be at work than a stay at home mom. If nothing else, for my sanity I certainly hope that's the case...
April 10, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 2 Comments
- When I walk into his room in the morning and he smiles really big when he hears my voice.
- Getting my lil guy to smile and "tell me stories" (coo) in the long check out line at the grocery. Everything and everyone melts away... I could stand there forever listening to his stories.
- Smelling and folding his tiny little clothes.
- Kissing his delicate baby toes.
- When my son is napping peacefully in my arms.
- Playtime brings us both so many smiles and laughs.
- When I'm bathing my baby he just stares at me with a content smile while I soap him up. It’s our time.
- Saying “nite-nite” prayers with my baby.
- Rocking Ollie to sleep, his soft sweet lavender smelling head tucked under my neck.
- Leaning over Ollie's crib after putting him down for the night, staring in amazement that he is MY perfect beautiful baby boy!
- Sneaking in to check on him for the 10th time and listening to his beautiful breath.
I delivered my brain with the baby!
April 09, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 5 Comments
April 08, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 0 Comments
Hugs to you!
The Domestic Goddess
April 06, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 3 Comments
Mommy Fail #4 No Infant Tylenol/Pain Reliever
April 05, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 5 Comments
2-month Well Baby Check-up
April 04, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 0 Comments
- Frustrating Gas. Poor guy will wake from a deep sleep scream out, fart and pass back out… 5 times a day! Doc said it really is normal in newborns. They just are not sure how to let the gas pass peacefully so they fight it. He also asked me if I had cut Dairy out of my diet. (dairy proteins can pass through breast milk) I have except for cheese… I suck! I have even gone so far as to start drinking almond milk and eating coconut milk yogurts. I’m freaking trying over here! He gave us some special gas drops and said give him 3 at the start of the early morning feeding and see how he does.
- Belly Sleeping- I told him Ollie loved it, and slept really well on his tummy. Oh man did I get the “I’m so disappointed in you look.” Apparently belly sleeping is Super Bad! He said it increases the chance of SIDS/Cot death by 50%, there is no benefits to it and if he gets used to it he will sleep like that when he can roll over. Hubs has always been against me putting Ollie on his belly. Needless to say, thanks to my big mouth Ollie is on his back for good.
- Vitamins- I asked if I should be giving some to Ollie directly in addition to my prenatal, I’m passing to him through the breast he should be getting vitamin D and iron. There are drops you can buy in the store for infants that have both in them.
- Red mark on back of head- Lil man has a small circle on the back of his head and a small line along his neck that look like a bruise. Good news! It’s a cluster of capillaries that will fade over time. I was afraid it was from laying on his head for too long.
- Cradle Cap- Last week Ollie had a dry flakey scalp. One of my favorite Mommy Friends told me to try massaging Olive Oil into his scalp then brushing out the flakes with a toothbrush. I did it 2 nights in a row before bath and his head has been great since. The doc said he looked good and couldn't even tell there had been any dry skin in the first place. Also, once the cradle CRAPOLA is cured it rarely comes back. So, yay!
Goodbye Narcissistic Super Mum High Horse. Hello less anxiety and happy marriage!
April 03, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 5 Comments
- My husband does deserve to feel like a good dad and find his own way, which may possibly be better than mine in some ways. (SO hard to imagine but whatever… What? I already admitted to being a shithead!) He is a great dad and the very last thing I want to do is make him feel like he is not.
- My mother, family and friends want to care for Ollie and the time will come when I will desperately need them to as well. If I don’t let them sort him out now it will be MUCH harder when he older he gets. And again, they may/probably will teach me a thing or two.
Mother Knows Best!
April 02, 2012 FirstTimeMomandDad.com 4 Comments
- ► 2016 (159)
- ► 2015 (267)
- ► 2014 (226)
- ► 2013 (218)
- Shit Wars
- Mommy (and Daddy!) Fail #5
- My Baby is three months old today!
- 3 months postpartum-What to Wear?
- Enjoy every second...
- What has First Time Dad been up to you ask...
- Mommy Power Hour!
- Going from mommy to me
- Words of wisdom...
- Flat out exhusted but a super hero
- My baby is losing his hair in a funny pattern!
- Loosing the Postpartum baby weight.
- Going back to work after maternity leave.
- Precious MOMents
- I delivered my brain with the baby!
- Happy Easter!
- The Domestic Goddess
- Mommy Fail #4 No Infant Tylenol/Pain Reliever
- 2-month Well Baby Check-up
- Goodbye Narcissistic Super Mum High Horse. Hello ...
- Mother Knows Best!
- ▼ April (21)
Struggling with finding the perfect gift for mom? Not sure what to give Queen Bee? Looking for free and easy ways to create the perfect Mot...Continue reading
(Since originally posting this I have added quite a few more, so I though I would repost it to kick off my, Best of 2013 Posts! Enjoy…) ...
This past weekend, there was a #FreeTheNipple event held at a local park. The event was organized by a 17-year old female high school studen...
I like to think of myself as an Urban Gardner. I have strange small spaces, odd shade times, and the city at my doorstep; with all, i...
Can you believe Valentine's Day is almost here?! I'm still getting over Christmas! And I don't just mean mentally, I'm still...
Happy Tuesday! We are a family that lives by our budget, and when I can squeeze it a little more, I do. Being that I'm a first time pare...
Follow by Email
Get our all latest updates via email. No Spam!