MOMMY FAIL #11 Do you have Poison Control on speed dial? Now we do...

Oliver is not awesome to take shopping.  Is any baby/toddler... teenager...man... Sorry I digress... So, to offset his boredom and crazy behavior, I give Ollie bribes toys bribes while shopping. Of course I start off with our own toys and food, but when he is over that, I just start grabbing the first thing I think he will like.

First of all, this photo was take about 6 months ago...
 Look at my sweet little baby!!!  Where the hell did the time go?!
Second, I use one of those cart/trolley liners.
 I LOVE that thing.
As you can see, I have links hooked to it,
and rotate the toys attached to the links regularly. 





Here is an example of how random my choices of crap to give Ollie are.
Why yes, that is one of those massive popcorn tins...
To Ollie it is an awesome drum!


FYI: I am so bad about this, that once he has chewed on, or thrown down, the random thing I have picked out, I just pick out something new.  Yes, I know that might be frowned upon by management, but so is a screaming baby in aisle 9.

Anyways...

The other day while shopping at the Dollar Tree (Everything is a dollar store), I was throwing crap toys at Ollie left and right. The next thing I know, I look down and he has yellow paint all around his mouth. Needless to say, I freak out! I mean, holy-crap-my-baby-is-going-to-die freak out! I take the toy, read that it is in fact a DOG TOY!!!  and that it is made in China. I crap my pants, and call my sister for help.

My (Big) sister is my best friend and mother to two boys, I knew she would know what to do. I explained to her that I was the worst mother in the world, because Ollie had yellow paint all over his face from chewing on dog toy, that I gave him. When she was finished laughing at me, she said to calm down, it was probably ok, but to call poison control to be on the safe side. She immediately texted the contact information for PC to my phone. I laughed at her for having them on speed dial, and she said, all parents should, especially those with two boys.

I hung up with my sister and called PC immediately. The very calm, understanding and all around sweet grandmother like Poison Control Expert*, first asked where it was made.  I told her, China. Next she said, the toy should not have any lead paint, but with any internationally made toy, you never really know 100%. Then she said, "It would take a few meals of toys to add up to a significant amount of lead to poison him, so don't worry."  She recommended giving him water and something to eat to get the taste out of his mouth.  And that was it.

I hung up, looked at a happy smiling Ollie grabbing for more crap Dollar Store junk, and decided that he was probably going to be ok.  We checked out, and went to the car where I fed him puffs and water. I wiped his face of the yellow paint, and realized that I needed to be more careful about what I give little man, since he still sticks EVERYTHING in his mouth.

*Side Note:  Did you know the person who answers the phone at Poison Control is not just an operator sitting at a computer reading a prompt and searching for the stock answer?  They are actually Pharmacists, Nurses and physicians AND are all certified as poison information specialists too!  WHO KNEW???   So not only are they kind, and knowledgeable... they are certified super knowledgeable.

Moral of the story:  MOMMY FAIL!
Lesson Learned: Ollie is not ready for any ol' crap bribe, just so I can have a few minutes of peace while shopping. I need to make sure it is safe for him to put in his mouth, because nine times out of ten, that is the first place the thing is going.
Bright Side: I have the number for Poison Control in my phone now!

I know... I am not right on so many levels.



Please vote for Ollie, FTD and Me!
Just one quick click below (Daily!!) and your vote is cast!


Top Mommy Blogs - Click To Vote!

Two confused parents=One amused baby Hopelessly we are trying raise a baby who is clearly smarter than both of us. April is an award-winning writer, blogger and proud debut novelist - The Devlyn Disguise. Her work has been published in over ten countries and four languages. From books to newspapers, to print/online magazines and everything in between, you can find her work. For more about April, Visit AprilMcCormick.com

13 comments:

Kitten said...

Ha, my children have always loved shopping with me when they get to sit in the carts. I think it's because when they are right in my face like that, I spend the majority of my time kissing them and talking to them and tickling. I can't even concentrate on shopping!

April @First Time Mom and Dad said...

Ollie just spends the whole time trying to climb out of the cart. He wants to get down and walk and play. Kisses are fruitless... :(

American Association of Poison Control Centers said...

You were very smart to call the Poison Help line (1-800-222-1222).

In fact, we'd say that the real moral of the story is a MOM WIN! Kids will get into everything and it's great that you acted fast!

The experts at your local poison center are amazing, aren't they? If you need anything else or have additional questions feel free to call the Help line

Jessika said...

OMG! Did you see my post about this a couple months ago??? The DAY that Kaely came home from school with the sticker to put on your fridge for Poison Control, we had to call. It was Nathan, not Chase, but still! Those damn wall plug-ins are like a flame to a moth for the babies. LOL. Oh well- you're not alone with giving them WHATEVER it takes to make it through the store :)

Anonymous said...

I'd say you handled it like a GREAT mom! Don't be too hard on yourself...we all find ourselves doing questionable things just to make it through the store with little ones.

April @First Time Mom and Dad said...

WoW! Thank you for your comment. Yes, The Operator was the calmest, kindest, most understanding woman. I felt at ease and SO SO SO comforted for making the call. She was even great about making light of it saying, "He would need a few meals of dog toys to get sick." I will NEVER EVER hesitate to call now, even over the smallest thing!

April @First Time Mom and Dad said...

THAT'S RIGHT!! I got rid of my plug ins too. I cannot wait to get over this stage of shoving everythign in his mouth!

April @First Time Mom and Dad said...

Thank you. Thank you for saying I was a great mom, and thank you for backing me up on the bribes. It's hard to shop with a baby. And No way am I giing to let FTD do the grocery shopping. We would be eating chips, hot dogs and beer every night!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I've had to call PC twice, and my little girl is only 15 months old. The first time, I was driving and had given her my jacket so she could play with the zipper (and not continue screaming - the kid HATES the car). The next thing I know, my entire car starts smelling like peppermint. I had left a Burt's Bees chapstick in my pocket and she had eaten THE ENTIRE THING! Just sat there, smacking her lips and smiling at me like, "Gee, mom, that was great! Thanks for the treat!" I freaked out and immediately called PC. Like you, I spoke to an amazing, grandmother-type woman who calmed me down immediately and, after looking it up on her computer, informed me that my little one would just have very fresh breath for the next hour or so. The second time, I had to call, she took a bite of my deodorant. Again, freaked out. Again, spoke to an awesome woman. I love PC - so thankful that they're there!!!

April @First Time Mom and Dad said...

LOL!! Sorry but too funny about the fresh breath! That God for Poison Control! They really are so nice and it's free to call! I just feel safer having them on speed dial.

Quirky Chrissy said...

It's like I'm reading about future me...

Brian's going to kill me, isn't he?

Lillian Connelly said...

This is kind of a relief because my daughter has chewed a few dog toys in her lifetime too. She thinks the dog toys are way cooler than her own.

Hilary @ Peanut Butter Spoonfuls said...

Aaah how scary!!!! I definitely have poison control on speed dial now. B once ate some Vaseline (which turned out to be fine) but the container said to call Poison Control if ingested. If dogs chew those things constantly I'm sure one little bite won't hurt Ollie at all :)

The Archives

Follow by Email

Looking For Something?