Hello, RED FLAG!
After reading the ingredients and finding there was NOTHING healthy in the cheap-o popsicles, I went to the store to find "healthy" popsicles.
It took less than five minutes to realize, not only was I going to start making my own popsicles, I was going to save a ton of money!
Probably one of my favorite things about making my own popsicles is being able to clean out my refrigerator. I open my produce drawer and start grabbing the things that need to be used; spinach, kale, apples, oranges, strawberries, bananas...
However, if you want real molds, good news, you can find them anywhere! Your local grocery, drugstore, kid's store or boutique, and kitchen stores like Bed Bath & Beyond and William-Sonoma. I got one of our molds on super clearance from Pottery Barn Kids.
They come in every shape and size too!
Pretty much, the next store you walk into, look for popsicle molds. And if you don't find them, opt for small Dixie cups and craft popsicle sticks.
I will say, moms swear by the silicone popsicle tubes. In fact, I've heard so many great things about them being mess free, I just ordered a pack of 6 from Amazon, since I couldn't find them in any of m y local shops.
It's a four step process; Blend. Pour. Freeze. Eat
Seriously, it's SO easy! Throw the ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth. Then pour into popsicle molds and freeze. No Blender? Mash and mix the crap out of what every your using. Pour mixture into molds, freeze and eat! It's REALLY that simple.
Voilà! You're a popsicle pro.
My personal favorite go-to popsicle flavors, using ingredients (always) in my kitchen are:
- Frozen tropical fruit and coconut water-I ALWAYS have both, so it's my go-to
- Strawberry and Cantaloupe- so easy and so good.
- Orange juice and yogurt; Think Dreamsicle. SO YUM!
- Coconut cream or coconut water and mango is mind blowing good.
- Peanut butter, bananas and yogurt-Ollie Fave
- Sweet tea and peaches-My fave!
- Speaking of tea- a boozy favorite is Long Island Ice Tea pop-tails
- Bananas and Nutella-So wrong, it's so right
- Root Beer and low-fat vanilla ice cream--Root Beer Float goodness!
- Snickers and ice-cream make an awesome summer backyard party dessert! (make heaps with Dixie cups)