12 Ways To Beat Winter + Holiday Weight Gain
Today I am partnering with the makers of the Easy@Home Digital Bluetooth Body Fat Smart Scale, to share 12 Ways To Beat Winter + Holiday Weight Gain, all opinions are my own.
Already feeling the holiday weight gain creeping up on you? Cold weather got you couched? it's ok, the holidays and winter are skinny jean sabotagers. I an effort to not bust our of my fat jeans before the end of the year, I did a little research for fast easy ways to not only keep off the winter + Holiday weight gain but, make small lasting changes that lead to a sustained, healthy lifestyle. Below are my 12 easy ways to make small steps towards big sustainable results!
1. Hydration is KEY! You hear it all the time, Aim for eight glasses of water a day. After all I read, and the conflicting ideas about how much water you should actually be drinking a day, for the purposes of this list, and general health, Iat the very least have a glass of water before EVERY meal. This help's curb calorie intake and boost metabolism by 3%! Also, your skin will thank you. Staying well-hydrated reaps benefits you inside and out.
2. Don't eat dinner before it's done. Snacking while making dinner is dangerous. Tasting your sauce is one thing, shredding a pile of cheese to snack on is another. Studies show you snacking while cooking can lead to 200 extra calories. TWO-HUNDRED! Before you snack on the shredded cheese or bread, take a big gulp of water. If that doesn't work, take another gulp.
3. Find a Friend. Get a workout buddy to join you for a walk or class (Yoga/Pilate/Spin...) once a week, with the goal of eventually getting out for three.
4. Pack a Snack. Starving yourself creates a metabolism then coupled with a vending machines or drive-thrus binge-fest, is the fastest way to pack on unnecessary pounds. Avoid the vicious cycle by keeping healthy snacks at your fingertips like fruit, nuts or protein/fiber bars. TIP: Keep healthy snacks at eye-level in the refrigerator and out on display on the counter. Or keep a "snack list" on the refrigerator to remind you of the healthy snacks, to keep you from grabbing the not-so-healthy ones.
5. Set small goals- Don't aim to lose 20 pounds. Aim to lose one pound 20 times! Studies show, meeting small goals is enough to propel you forward to the next. While setting large lofty goals can set you up for an almost immediate failure.
6. Stop dieting-To quote Jullian Michaels directly, "Everyone's like: 'Give up carbs!' 'Give up fat!' 'Wait, no, now I'm taking pills!' None of them are manageable long-term—and they wreak havoc with your metabolism! Because you're either starving yourself or you're cutting out a major food group. Then you go back into weight-gain mode, but it's even worse, because your body has adjusted to all that crazy fad crap." Diets end. Healthy lifestyles last. Small steps will lead to a healthy forever.
TIP: Eat Lean protein to stay fuller for longer. Pack turkey or chicken into a whole grain pita with lots of veggies for lunch and you just might not launch your usual 3pm assult on the vending machine .
7. Citrus slashes cortisol. Vitamin C inhibits the production of cortisol, a hormone that essentially tells your body to store fat. Suck down grapefruit slices on the way to the office, or pack a Cutie in your lunch too!
8. When you feel Snacky, ask yourself, Am I really Hungry? Studies show food cravings pass in about 10 minutes, so call a friend, paint your nails or knit an afghan until the craving passes. If you are just feeling snacky out of bordeum. Set a timer, telling yourself you can eat in ten minutes. In the meantime, DRINK WATER!
9. Can the crap! Clean out your pantry of all trans fats and unhealthy sugars and swear them off! Don't let that shit cross your threshold again starting 2017. See how long you can last. The goal is to create a healthy grocery store within your kitchen to make healthy choices easy.
10. Stand and deliver results. Standing burns 1.5 more calories than sitting. Reason #44 to stand while on the phone, checking email or playing Candy Crush.
11. Portion control is key. It's as easy as considering this before every meal: Think of eating the portion for the size you want to be; Small, Medium, Large or Extra Large? The make a plate accordingly.
TIP: When you finish each meal, brush your teeth! Studies show people were much less likely to snack after dinner once their teeth were brushed.
Since receving the scale two weeks ago, I actually threw my old scale away. I will never ever be able to use another scale again unless it;s a smart scale. HOLY CRAP! I keep telling friends I know more than I ever wanted to know about my health, and that I feel liek I have an evil personal traner I have to answer to almost daily. If you've never had one, a Bluetooth Body Fat Smart Scale creates accountability (and guilt!) like you have never known. Want to really track your weighloss goals EIGHT different parameters that directly affect your weight loss and overall health? GET THIS SCALE!!!! You can learn more about the Easy@Home Digital Bluetooth Body Fat Smart Scale, here.
**I received the above Easy@Home Digital Bluetooth Body Fat Smart Scale free for the purposes of review. All opinions are my own. It really is a super cool scale!